It’s been used around the world from the ancient Greeks to Victorian England for its healing properties and it’s also one of our biggest trends for Spring Spa Week. What is this superhero ingredient you might ask?
Today, most popularly known as the green stuff wrapped around our sushi, seaweed is one of the most highly regarded ingredients by doctors and beauty experts alike. As Linda Page, N.D. Ph.D. points out, “Sea plants can transform your health. There are many reasons why I recommend sea vegetables as part of my healing programs — weight loss, cellulite control, detoxification, beautiful hair and skin, and more.”
Known for its anti-oxidant rich healing powers, this anti-ager helps improve your skin’s overall appearance. “Seaweed has the ability to detox the body removing heavy metals, radioactive chemicals, toxins and free radicals” says Satnarine, skincare expert from Epiphany Day Spa. Used as a body wrap, the ingredient tones skin tissue and improves circulation to reduce cellulite. It acts as a catalyst to remove excess water from the body and help maintain your healthy weight loss program.
Used topically with a facial, the mineral salts in seaweed also help your skin hold its moisture, while improving texture and overall appearance. It is also the richest source of minerals and is one of the few products that can penetrate the pores and infuse minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and iodine into the cells.
The ingredient is ideal for all skin types-even sensitive skin benefits from its smoothing properties which also help to neutralize any imbalances. The result: firmer, rejuvenated, and nourished skin.
As Plato, the ancient Greek philosopher put it, “The sea cures all evils.” He knows his stuff, so if seaweed was good enough for Plato, it’s good enough for me.
Here are a sampling of ways to snag seaweed’s beauty benefits for yourself during Spa Week. See the full Spa Directory for all your options.
Susan Ciminelli Day Spa & Salon
- 60 Min Seaweed Body Wrap
Epiphany Day Spa
- 60 Min Seaweed Facial with Herbal Exfoliants and Mask for All Skin Types
- 60 Min Seaweed Body Wrap for Cellulite Reduction and Weight Loss
Art of Natural Beauty Center
- Seaweed Slimming Body Wrap
- 60 Min Seaweed Deep Pore Cleansing Facial
- Orange Skye Body & Beauty Bar
- 55 Min Seaweed Facial with Sea Extracts and Essential Oils
Skin Solutions Laser Spa
- 60 Min Seaweed Detoxifying Mud Wrap with Mini Facial
The Woodhouse Day Spa- Plano
- 50 Min Seaweed Cellulite Wrap
- The Salon and Spa at Saks Fifth Avenue
- 45 Min Soothing Seaweed Facial
BEBA Beauty Skin and Body Day Spa
- 50 Min Cellulite Treatment: Detoxifying Seaweed Body Wrap
- 55 Min Repechage Seaweed Facial
- 80 Min Nusta Spa Signature Pedicure with Seaweed Mask and Paraffin Dip
The MV Diet Detox Spa
- 75 Min Natural Cleansing Seaweed Body Wrap
Need a little more information on why you should book your seaweed appointment? Check out our “Seaweed Queen” video, behind the scenes of a Repechage Seaweed Facial, below.