Oh, that glorious extra hour! Why can’t we change the clocks back every day? Imagine – waking up every morning and realizing you have an hour more to sleep, to cuddle, to eat breakfast or catch up on the news… I campaign for 25 hour days, indefinitely. But alas, this might get confusing. So, with our one lucky “fall back” day of the year, I say take that extra hour you’ve been blessed with, and use it at the spa.
We’ve got many hour-long spa treatments in our November Spa Deals, and there are many actual proven reasons to use your extra time on the massage table. TIME just featured “8 Ways to Beat the Daylight Savings Blues,” and much of it resonated with the spa lifestyle:
- Getting a massage – The country’s most popular spa treatment is also great when the days get shorter and the winter blues set in. According to TIME: “(Massage) can be as effective in treating depression as talk therapy. During massage, levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which is often high in depressed people, fall while levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin — the same brain chemical increased by antidepressant medications — rise.”
- Deep breathing – “Taking slow, deep, relaxing breaths stimulates the vagus nerve, which is responsible for counteracting the stress response,” reports the TIME article. Our yoga expert, Elena Brower, created her Spa Week Daily Challenge around this fact – check out her 5 minute breathing tips. So when your in-laws are in town for the holidays, just remember to take deep breaths!
- Drinking caffeine - Go ahead and feed your Starbucks addiction, because a recent study showed that women who drank more than four cups of coffee a day had a lower risk of depression. Lattes, here you come!
- Exercising - Elle Woods said it best: “Exercising gives you endorphins, and endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands!” Exercising repeatedly at the same time each day or days of the week helps create a habit, and the more you repeat that habit, the harder it becomes to let yourself deviate from it.
- Socializing – It can be difficult to motivate yourself to go out especially during the bitterly cold winters here on the East Coast but, get yourself to the spa (maybe grab a few friends too) and you’ll be doing yourself a service! (Click for the rest of TIME’s tips.)
Here are some great spa deals around the country to fill that 60 minutes of time you’ve been blessed with, and to help you fight off those winter blues:
Facelogic Spa in Encinitas, California has a 60 Minute Microdermabrasion Facial with Upper Body Massage. Special: $59; Originally: $109.
mySpa at InterContinental Miami has a choice of a 50 Min True Transformation Facial or My Massage, 60 Minute Anti-Cellulite Body Wrap or 95 Min Journey Manicure and Pedicure with choice of Lavender or Ginger. Special: $50 Each.
Newbury Electrology & Skin Care in Boston has a choice of 60 Minute Spa Facial with Enzyme Peel and 15 Min Electrolysis for $55, normally $125, or 60 Minute Deep Pore Cleansing Facial and Eyebrow Wax for $50, normally $95.
Monty Beauty Spa in Brooklyn, New York has a choice of 60 Minute Aromatherapy Massage with Cupping Therapy, 60 Minute Lava Hot Stone Massage or 90 Min Vitamin C and Seaweed Facial Treatment. Special: $60 Each.