Did you know that today kicks off National Sleep Awareness Week? Apparently there IS a more relaxing week than Spa Week! Okay, okay, I wouldn’t go that far, but this “holiday” presented by the National Sleep Foundation is as great a time as any to become more aware of your sleeping habits, and improve them for a better overall quality of life.
6 Reasons to Focus on Your Sleep
- Over 40% of women are sleep deprived. Most people need 7-8 hours of sleep per night and 43% of women report getting less than 7 hours of sleep on average.
- Can’t remember the good things in life? You might not be depressed—sleep could be the culprit. Studies have shown that sleep deprivation makes it harder to form positive memories while still allowing the formation of negative memories.
- You or your bed partner may have Nocturia. The need to get up frequently to urinate during the night actually has a name…Nocturia.
- Sleep doesn’t just get worse after you’re a senior citizen. The amount of slow-wave sleep (the important restorative stage of sleep) is cut in half between the age of 20 and 30.
- Sleep Apnea??? Almost 50% of people don’t know what sleep apnea is (a condition where breathing becomes shallower or stops hundreds of times per night), despite it being a life-threatening condition that effects an estimated 18 million Americans.
- Those extra pounds? Sleep may be at fault. Studies have shown that sleep duration plays an important role in appetite suppressing (e.g. leptin) and stimulating (e.g. ghrelin) hormones. Start getting the proper amount of sleep and have an easier time controlling your weight.
Also, check out this very fascinating blog post on sleep deprivation for more on the subject.
If you are part of the 52% of American adults who have trouble falling asleep, you may find a bedtime buddy in reBloom Natural Sleep Drink. I haven’t personally tested it out, but in honor of National Sleep Awareness Week they are offering a trial period discount. Enter “SleepWeek” at checkout on www.reBloom.com to receive your initial 7-pack for $19.99 for a savings of 30%, for a week of money-back guaranteed better sleep. I occasionally have trouble sleeping and feel the need to pop a Nyquill, so I am probably going to try it out! Let me know if you do too.
According to their website: reBloom’s safe, natural and effective ingredients include:
- Valerian, the root of a flowering plant that has been used as a traditional sleeping remedy since ancient Roman times
- L-Theanine a key amino acid found in green tea
- Melatonin a naturally occurring compound in the human body that helps to regulate the sleep/wake cycle as well as Antioxidants and the traditional calming herbs Chamomile and Lavender
You won’t find any drugs, preservatives, artificial flavors or sweeteners in reBloom—just an unabashedly natural taste and simple, beautiful sleep. At only 5 calories, reBloom is a simple and guilt-free way to get the natural sleep that you so desperately deserve, without resorting to sleeping pills.