By Jamie G. Dougherty
There are so many things to think about when embarking on a exciting trip or vacation. What to wear, where to stay and dine, how many pairs of shoes to pack, should I bring my floral or leopard print bikini? (I assume both, right?)
However, the one thing we usually forget about while traveling… is food. What the heck are you going to eat in the airport, on the plane, or sitting in the back of the screeching cab on your way to the hotel? Airports and airplanes are rife with food that can easily derail all your good Spring eating (or as Ellen illustrates, is a downright humiliation to mankind). And by the time you get to your lovely destination, all the crappy, crazy-salty, under-satisfying food you’ve eaten while in transit makes it tough to get into your super cute outfit. Believe me sister, I hear ya!
As I’m traveling for most of May, here is my personal list of the foods I pack for any airborne trip. They all travel beautifully and don’t need to be refrigerated. Score!
1. Dried fruit and nuts – Favorites are peaches, apricots, cherries, dates, prunes, walnuts, almonds, cashews, brazil nuts and pecans. Make sure the fruit is un-sulphured as sulphur is a preservative that can cause tummy upset. (AKA gas!)
2. Fresh fruit with hard cheese – Apples with cheddar or pecorino work best.
4. Cut veggies with Muhammara - Celery, radishes, cucumbers, carrots, and sugar snap peas work well. They also help keep you hydrated on the dry plane.
5. Your favorite dark chocolate bar – What can I say? Never travel without chocolate. My favorite is the Alter-Eco BlackOut bar.
6. Crackers – These will keep you way from the baggies of pretzels. The best brands are Ryvita, Dr. Kracker, and Mary’s Gone Crackers.
In the comments below tell me what your favorite, leavin’ on a jetplane snacks are. Enjoy and safe travels!
Jamie G. Dougherty, founder of JamieLiving.com, empowers busy women to break through body and food barriers to see their life and body bloom! She is also the creator of the Delicious Detox Program: 10 Days to a more Divine and Delicious YOU! If you feel hungry, stuck and unsatisfied with your food and your body be sure to visit Jamie’s website to get her FREE 5-Step Guide to Fabulous. Seriously ladies, get ready for Jamie to rock your world!