According to Women’s Health Magazine, 2013’s biggest super food isn’t something with a name you can’t pronounce (acai, quinoa, anyone?) or a typical green hued veggie (kale and avocado are favorites) and thanks to Gwen Stefani everyone knows how to spell it (unlike spirulina…yeah we had to look that one up). Yep, if you haven’t guessed yet, one of the trendiest superfoods this year is none other than the BANANA!
This should be exciting news for all, as most of us probably eat them on a regular basis. And there’s A LOT about this nifty little fruit that you probably didn’t know. Now that we’ve learned all the crazy ways you can utilize bananas, we’re fully convinced they’ve earned their “super food” wings.
Our Top 10 Uses of Banana:
10. To improve your mood! Bananas contain tryptophan (the same stuff in Turkey that helps tire you out on Thanksgiving) which produces serotonin to stabilize your mood.
9. To help with menstrual symptoms. Bananas contain Vitamin B6 (an anti-cramping nutrient) and potassium to reduce bloating. Midol has officially got some competition!
8. To reduce the effects of nicotine withdrawal. Vitamin B6 has calming properties that helps smokers recover from nicotine withdrawal more smoothly.
7. To curb morning sickness. This magical cure-all (Vitamin B6, of course) has been shown to reduce the symptoms of morning sickness and having a balanced level of potassium can help combat nausea.
6. Lack of iron is the nation’s number one nutrient deficiency, especially in women. Bananas contain a dose of iron AND Vitamin C to help you absorb it. Double win!
5. As a natural laxative. Bananas are high in fiber…need we say more?
4. As a source of natural energy. Substitute your morning latte for a banana – the energy boost will last longer and you won’t experience a crash after it wears off!
3. To soothe mosquito bites. Ever heard this trick? Hold the inside of a banana peel on a mosquito bite for 5-10 minutes to relieve itch and dry the bite out.
2. To reduce your hangover. Alcohol depletes the body of potassium and electrolytes, and eating a banana can help pump these back into your system, thus making you feel better. A handy tid-bit to keep on file!
1. To eat…in banana bread…duh!