Just in time for the holidays–a perfect healthy smoothie from Hot Mom Angel!
I am pretty much the only person in my entire immediate family that doesn’t love eggnog. Seriously the best part of the season for them is partaking in the stuff. To me, it’s just too sweet, too rich, and too thick. Last year I decided to experiment with my own version of eggnog that would taste good and be healthy to boot.
This is what I came up with–a frothy blend of almond milk sweetened with agave nectar and laced with nutmeg and cinnamon. The spiced sweetness is then thickened with Greek yogurt and blended with ice for a creamy smoothie reminiscent of the real deal. A decadent, yet guilt-free holiday treat that may just replace the ‘nog for good!
This healthy rendition of traditional holiday eggnog contains about 6 grams of protein per 8 ounce serving to give you the energy needed for a day full of holiday cheer.
Healthy Holiday Eggnog Smoothie
- 4 Cups of Vanilla Almond Milk, Unsweetened
- 3 Egg Whites
- 2 ½ Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 2 6 Ounce Containers of Honey or Vanilla Flavored Greek Yogurt
- Handful of ice
- Blend the first five ingredients together (almond milk, egg whites, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon).
- Pour into a medium saucepan and heat over low flame for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently and do not allow to boil.
- Cool the mixture in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Once cooled, return the mixture to the blender and add the yogurt and ice. Blend until thick and smooth.
- Serve immediately in cinnamon/sugar rimmed glasses.
Note: The egg whites can be omitted (although it won’t be as frothy) and soy or coconut yogurt can be substituted for a vegan version.
Angel is a stay-at-home mama to a feisty, rambunctious toddler girl named Jacquelyn (aka Jax). A lover of all things adorable, Angel enjoys party-planning, cooking, napping with her daughter and date nights with her husband. You can catch up with Angel at Yay! Babyblog where she muses about motherhood, shares delicious family favorite recipes and offers tips for fabulous entertaining. There’s always reason to shout out loud – Yay Baby!