One of the biggest parties of the year (Oktoberfest, of course) ended in Munich about two weeks ago – but we’ve got some reasons for you to keep the party going all month long (and beyond!).
If you’re a fan of beer, we’ve got good news for you (and for any friends or family who enjoy this bubbly beverage, too): According to a recent article from TIME.com, beer is actually better for our health than we thought. Here’s why:
- Beer is a source of silicon, which may increase bone density in women. Types of beer that are highest in silicon are ones with high levels of hops and malted barley – think craft beers like Dogfish Head and India Pale Ale (IPA) styles.
- Beer contains iron, an essential nutrient that helps distribute oxygen throughout the body. Dark beers generally have more iron, so go for something like New Castle or Sam Adams Dark.
- Occasional drinking is good for heart health and can even lower your risk of stroke.
- Moderate drinking is associated with a 25%-45% decreased risk of heart disease.
- Moderate drinkers are 23% less likely to develop memory problems, including diseases like Alzheimer’s.
And of course, we have the lowdown on the beauty benefits of brews, too! Beer can be great for both your hair and skin. Here are two DIY recipes from the TIME article for a conditioner and a mask utilizing beer.
Conditioner: Blend ingredients and use after your regular shampoo.
1 cup warm beer
1 teaspoon jojoba oil
This natural, non-greasy conditioner adds body and shine to hair! German beers like Becks and Bitburger have more protein, which is the key ingredient for adding luster – so pick up one of those for your conditioner!
Mask: Blend ingredients. Leave on face for 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
1 teaspoon plain yogurt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 tablespoon beer
The yeast in beer helps control sebum and bacteria, making this mask great for acne prone skin.
So ladies, next time you’re spending the night out (or in!) don’t be afraid to order a cold one! It’s better for your health than you thought.