Happy December 1st! In honor of the holiday season and Dr. Wendy’s Cinnamon Challenge, here is a recipe that pulls triple duty as a holiday gift, an aromatherapy pouch and a delicious cider drink. These Mulled-Cider Cinnamon Aromatherapy Sachets are great for adding a comforting holiday aroma to your sock drawer, pillow cases, car, gym bag and more! Wrap them in festive paper foil and boxes to make beautiful gifts for friends and family. And, you can also create warm cinnamon cider by steeping a pouch in hot water. See below for all three ways to enjoy!
- 12 cinnamon sticks
- 6 pieces star anise
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 6 spice bags ($7.95 for 12 bags, surlatable.com) (If you don’t have spice bags you can also use cheese cloth cut into large squares)
- 6 rubber bands
- 6 ribbons (approx 12-24 inches long)
- Divide the cinnamon, star anise, allspice, and cloves among the bags
- Tie with rubber band and decorative ribbon
- Keep at room temperature for up to 6 months.
Mulled-Cider Cinnamon Drinks:
- Simmer 1 sachet in 2 quarts apple cider for 15 minutes. Serves 8.
How to package as a gift:
- Divide the sachets between 2 small boxes lined with decorative foil or paper. Try the Bamboo Stackable Drawer Organizers available at containerstore.com (3 by 6 by 2 inches, $4 each).
- Handwrite or download the following instructions on a gift tag or label to include with your gift: “Simmer 1 sachet in 2 quarts apple cider for 15 minutes. Serves 8.”
- Tuck gift tags with instructions into the boxes; wrap with decorative wrapping paper or fabric that is cut to the width of each box, leaving the ends open. Secure each with a ribbon and finish by tying on a cinnamon stick and a star anise piece.
Recipe: Real Simple