Having a Spa Party in Honor of Spa Week? Then you are in luck! A few weeks ago, I was parusing the internet for some spa-worthy recipes. Low and behold, I hit the jackpot! I am now OBSESSED with the creative cooking blog, Hungry Happenings written by author, chocolatier and party planner, Beth Jackson Klosterboer, so much so that I am having a Halloween-themed brunch for my girlfriends at my apartment in two weekends, featuring some of Beth’s delectable dishes. (Most likely the Sugared Egg Roll Ghosts and the Crackling Witch Crackers and Full-Moon Dip.)
Please check out Beth’s latest recipes for easy, fun and festive recipes and pick up her book, Hungry Halloween on Amazon just in time for All Hallow’s Eve. The Spa Party Appetizer recipe, featured below, is not only delish, but it will only take you about 30mins from start to finish!
- 2 – 8 ounce blocks cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning (season it to your taste)
- 1 fresh mozzarella cheese roll
- 1/2 cup guacamole or pureed avocado*
- 2 slices cucumber
- 1 roasted red pepper
*Beth prefers the flavor of guacamole on the cheese ball, but you may just like pureed avocado. She suggests that if you are using store bought or fresh guacamole, strain it through a fine mesh stainer to remove all of the chunky bits
Special Equipment Needed:
- plastic female face mask
- food handling gloves, optional
1.Wash the face mask with warm soapy water. Dry. Line it with a piece of plastic wrap.
2. In a bowl combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, Monterrey Jack cheese, and taco seasoning. Stir well to combine.
3. Press the cheese mixture into the face mask.
4. Smooth out the top surface then fold the plastic wrap up over the cheese and smooth out even more.
5. Remove from mold and set it on a serving platter.
6. Use your finger to smooth away the wrinkles (“Wouldn’t it be great if that worked in real life?” – Yes, Beth!)
7. Unroll the mozzarella cheese roll onto a cutting board.
8. Cut out a 10″-12″ piece of flat cheese. Cut that piece in half lengthwise.
9. Pick up one strip of cheese and set it at a diagonal across the left side of the face.
10. Press the cheese up against the head. You want to form the cheese around the top and side of the head then cut off the excess cheese.
11. Lay the second piece of cheese in the opposite diagonal direction across the right side of the face and repeat the process.
12. Spread guacamole or pureed avocado over the face.
13. Place cucumber slices over the eyes.
14. Cut lips out of roasted red pepper and place on face.
15. Serve with crackers and enjoy!
Images via Hungry Happenings