Lavender and Lemon, two ingredients often found in luxurious facials and aromatherapy massages are now being incorporated into a yummy, healthy spa-ish cupcake recipe. The dried lavender buds, lemon juice and lemon zest will be like a spa treatment in your mouth!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Nutritional Facts: (1 cupcake): 152 calories, 4 g fat, 27 g carbs, 2 g protein
- 1 cup white whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t dried lavender buds, roughly chopped
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 3 T unsalted butter, cubed and brought to room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
- Ingredients for the icing on your healthy cupcakes
- 1 cup loosely packed confectioner’s sugar
- Fresh lavender buds for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F and place cupcake liners in a 12-cup muffin pan.
To make the batter:
- Whisk together flour, lavender, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, lemon juice, and zest.
- Beat in one-third of the flour mixture until just combined.
- Beat in half the buttermilk, followed by another third of the flour, then the remaining buttermilk and flour.
- Fill cupcake liners about two-thirds of the way up and bake for 24 to 26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the icing:
- Stir together confectioner’s sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Stir in zest.
- Drizzle over cupcakes and garnish with lavender. (Let frosting set for 30 minutes before packing or serving.)
- Serve right away or store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Recipe originally featured on Shape.com